CINCINNATI– Second year outfielder Cole Hart hit two homers to help power the Cincinnati Bearcats over the Northern Kentucky Norse, 12-6, Wednesday afternoon in front of a sold-out crowd at UC Ballpark.
Graduate pitcher Ryan Steckline (3-0) secured the bullpen victory for Cincinnati (20-25, 9-9). The southpaw went three shutout innings, allowing two hits, no walks and striking out four. Redshirt sophomore pitcher Alex Shea also pitched well, going two shutout innings while allowing a hit, walking one and striking out two.
Harting went 3 for 6 at the plate, completing both of his home runs with three RBIs. Junior outfielder red shirt Paul Komistek added to Harting’s impressive power performance by going 3-for-4 with a double and two RBIs as well as two walks. Redshirt second-year catcher Cam Scheler also contributed for the Bearcats, going 1 for 4 with a home run, a walk and an RBI.
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
The Bearcats fought back from a 3-0 deficit early in the first period and scored four points on their own in the bottom half of the first quarter. A homer from Harting followed by a senior infielder in a red shirt Wyatt Stapp and redshirt second-year player Kameron Guidry RBI singles gave them the edge.
UC broke another tie in the third by scoring two more runs. A Scheler homer gave the team a 7-4 lead.
Cincinnati extended the lead to 11-6 before Harting hit his second homer of the day, putting a ribbon on the game.
- Harting hit his seventh and eighth homers of the year today while hitting three runs. He’s hitting .438 (14-32) in his last seven games.
- In his 100th career collegiate appearance, Steckline won his third game of the season, going three innings, allowing two hits and striking out four.
- Guidry and Stapp had identical stat lines today, going 2 for 5 with two RBIs and walking once.
- Scheler hit his fourth homer of the season in the fourth inning. He has three RBIs in his last two games played.
- Komistek had a busy stat line today, going 3 for 4, scoring three, leading by two and walking twice.
- Freshman infielder in red shirt Kerrington Cross stole two bases today, giving him 16 goals this season, the most on the team.
- Today’s game drew 3,125 people, selling out UC’s ballpark and setting a new stadium attendance record.
To purchase game tickets or flex packs, visit GoBearcats.com/Tickets or call 1-877-CATS-TIX (1-877-228-7849).
FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
REMARK: All dates and times are subject to change due to weather. All schedule changes will be announced on Twitter at @GoBearcatsBASE.